The library welcomes children of all ages to use and enjoy its resources. However, there are certain stipulations that the board of trustees require.
- Preschool and Kindergarten age children may not be left unattended except for certain special programs for their age level. Pick-up must be prompt.
- Students in the 1st through 3rd grades may not be left unattended for more than 30 minutes.
- Students in the 4th through 6th grades may not be left unattended for more than 90 minutes.
- At a library function, any person exhibiting inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave.
The Library Board and staff recognize that there are times when parents or guardians may leave children unattended for the allowable time periods. The parents or guardians should understand that unattended children are left without supervision. Behavior at the library should be no less than what is expected in school.
Improper behavior will be treated as follows:
- First Offense: a warning from the staff member on duty.
- Second Offense: a warning from the staff member on duty and a notice to parents or guardians.
- Third Offense: a phone call to the parents or guardians and dismissal from the library for seven (7) days.
- Any additional offenses will be taken to the Library Board of Trustees for further attention.
If you have any questions, call the library at 715-545-2887
- Patrons must possess a library card & have it with them (except for Phelps School kids)
- All books have a check-out period of 3 weeks
- 3 week renewal is allowed unless the item is on reserve for another patron
- We do not charge overdue fees on late books
- We do reserve the right to deny service to patrons with overdue materials
- Movies have a 3 day check-out period unless otherwise noted
- Overdue movie charges are $1/day for each late movie
- Music CDs circulation policy is the same as the book loan policy
- DVD borrowers must have a valid library card with no outstanding fines.
- Borrowers must be 12 years old to check out movies without a parent of guardian present.
- Borrowers must be 17 years old to check out "R" rated movies.
- DVD's circulate for 3 days unless otherwise indicated.
When using a public Internet workstation at the Phelps Public Library you agree to the following guidelines:
- To use the electronic information resources at the library in a responsible manner, consistent with the educational and informational purposes for which they are provided.
- To not use the Internet for any unauthorized, unethical, commercial or illegal purposes.
- To respect the privacy of others by not misrepresenting oneself as another user.
- To not attempt to modify or gain access to files, passwords or data belonging to others.
- To not seek unauthorized access to any computer system, or damage or alter software components of any network or database.
- To not send, receive or display, text or graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene.
- To not make any changes to the setup or configuration of the software or hardware.
- Phelps Public Library's Internet access does not include: Chat room or messenger services.
- *NWLS does not allow library patrons to use the library’s Local Area Network with a personal laptop computer or mobile computer device. Wi-fi is available.
- No personal CDs are allowed.
- No USB Flash Drives are allowed unless scanned first for viruses.
- Library staff is glad to assist as much as possible, but may not be familiar with the area of the Internet that you are exploring. Also, no training can be provided by staff.
- Remember the library may have the information you are looking for in our books.
- Just like with other resources of information, the library is not responsible for the validity or reliability of the information found on the Internet.
- When other users are waiting, there is a 30 minute time limit on the use of the computers. Otherwise it is 2 hours per person per day unless additional time is authorized by library staff for educational purposes.
- Misuse or abuse of the computers or the Internet access will result in the suspension of your computer privileges.
- Phelps Public Library assumes no responsibility for the use of the Internet. It is the responsibility of the care-giver, guardian or parent to determine what is appropriate. Library staff is not responsible for monitoring access to the Internet.
- Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information.
- The same standards of intellectual freedom, privacy and confidentiality endorsed by the American Library Association and incorporated in the Phelps Public Library Policies for traditional media shall be applied to all electronic media.
- All minors must have a signed agreement on file at the library. Minor's agreements must be signed by a parent or guardian. Children must be 10 years of age to use the Internet computers without a parent or guardian present.
- *Wireless is available 24/7